Monday 16 March 2015

Why I am A Feminist

In year 9 - aged 13/14, i was first introduced to the concept of feminism by my history teacher who is actually a man, which a lot of people find surprising.

The reason they find this surprising is because he told me that he was a feminist, and a lot of people assume that men cannot be feminists due to the fact that they have a twisted idea of what feminism actually is.

I think that I have always been a feminist, even before labeling myself as one, as I have wanted equality for so many years and have fought for it constantly.

But why am I a feminist?

I am a feminist because less than 100 years ago, women were restrained in jail cells with feeding tubes down their throats for the right for women to vote.

I am a feminist because martial rape was still legal up until 1993.

I am a feminist because society has portrayed women for centuries as the weaker sex.

I am a feminist because we are statistically payed less, and we are discriminated against in work environments for having two X chromosomes.

I am a feminist because I think that men and women should be seen equals and no sex should be favoured over the other!

Let us be praised for the talents we have, our intelligence, our accomplishments. Let us not be judged for being women or men.

Stop the patriarchy, stop the matriarchy. Lets just be equals.

Yours Faithfully,

~ She Who Writes


No comments:

Post a Comment