Thursday 30 July 2015

Book Review : Am I Normal Yet? By Holly Bourne

*SPOILER FREE - through out* 

From reading my blog, you can probably tell that I am a fan of Holly Bourne and her novels, and reading 'Am I Normal Yet?' just made me love her more.


Due to me being in a reading hangover from Simon vs the homo sapiens agenda, I didn't think I could read another book so quickly...but knowing Holly's effect on my book hangovers in the past, I decided to read it anyway and definitely did not regret it! (although now I have found myself in another book hangover)
Am I Normal Yet? Is a story about a year 12 student called Evie who after being labelled as 'weird' and abnormal during her 'Secondary' School years, wants nothing more than to fit in and be labelled for once as a normal stable teenager. 
She suffers from the mental illness OCD in the novel, and has suffered for a few years now but was able to get through it with the help of her best friend. 

Obviously because Holly makes her books extremely realistic, she shows us that this battle is not so easy to get over and can last a life time. 

Reading this made me a lot more aware about how difficult it is to live with other forms of mental illness. It also made me extremely happy - despite some of the sad topics discussed, because finally a problem that we have in society is being recognised at last!
This problem is the causal use of mental illnesses to describe a feeling you have...which a lot of people I know do. I do not do this - thanks to my friend Gee who got me into the habit of realising the severity of these illnesses before I could even compare my emotions to them, but it is still a problem that a lot of people seem to not understand. 

Because this is spoiler free, I will not talk about this any further but I do however recommend that you read this book because it is amazing! I gave this a rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars, because since it will be a series, I always want to give the other books a higher rating than the first, as I think it will improve a lot more as the series progresses. 


(Disclaimer: Some but not all of the photos used in this post are mine)

Yours faithfully, 

She Who Writes






1 comment:

  1. Loved this! And I didn't know Am I Normal Yet? was going to be part of a series, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete