Wednesday 27 July 2016

Book Review : The Grown Up by Gillian Flynn

Hey guys! Today I will be discussing the second book I read for the Book-Tube-A-Thon, and what I thought of it.

Gillian Flynn's novels are something I am not at first a fan of. It takes a deep thought process of the meaning of her books before I decide to like them. This book was no different.

I don't like it right now, but I see myself liking it in the future. 

***

Author: Gillian Flynn
Book: The Grown Up
Genre: Adult, Mystery, Horror
Release Date: 5th November 2015
Publisher: Weidenfeld & Nicolson
Source: Waterstones

Synopsis: 

A young woman is making a living faking it as a cut-price psychic (with some illegal soft -core sex work on the side). She makes a decent wage mostly by telling people what they want to hear. But then she meets Susan Burke. 

Susan moved to the city one year ago with her husband and 15-year-old Miles. They live in a Victorian house called Carterhook Manor. Susan has become convinced that some malevolent spirit is inhabiting their home. The young woman doesn't believe in exorcism or the supernatural. However when she enters the house for the first time, she begins to feel it too, as if the very house is watching her, waiting, biding its time...

***


You can purchase this book at 2 of my favourite stores:


What I liked about this short story? : I didn't like much about this story, but I did like sense of uncertainty that I felt whilst reading the novel - similar to the way I felt during Gone Girl. I also loved Miles, her sociopath of a step son who really just freaked me out. 

What I didn't like about the short story? : I didn't the ending, but I never do with her stories. Her endings are always so abrupt and so unsatisfying. I just didn't like the aura of the book...Gillian is good at matching the aura with her story lines. 

I therefore gave this book a rating of :


3.5 stars out 5

I will probably not re read...but then again I might. 

(Disclaimer: The images in this post are not mine!)

Yours Faithfully, 

~ Literature and Tea 


No comments:

Post a Comment