Sunday 4 October 2015

Black History - Spook - a - YAShot - a - Thon!

As you can tell from the title, I am hoping to read a wide range of different novels in the month of October!

Spooky Reads

Halloween is coming up,  which is known for it's scary aspects and is therefore the reason I decided to read the following books - bearing in mind that I have never tried reading horror before. (Not all of these books will be horror, some are dark and others thrillers.)

1# Carrie by Stephan King
Carrie is a novel that I have been meaning to read, but was always too scared to. So I guess now is the perfect chance to force myself into this. I have also never read a Stephan King novel, so I am pretty excited.

2# The Sin Eaters Daughter by Melinda Salisbury
This is a book I bought in August as a pick me up after GCSE's, and from the blurb I can tell it is dark!

3# The Shock of The Fall by Nathan Filer
I actually got this book as a birthday present from a good friend of mine this time last year, and I still haven't read it. The book is described as dark but funny so I am counting this one as a spooky read!

4# Dracula by Bram Stoker
This is a book I have always wanted to read, because I am a fan of vampire novels but barely read them...and this is the mother of all vamp novels so this would be a good place to develop my love of vampires even more!

5# Coraline by Neil Gaiman 
This is a book that I heard of through it's movie adaptation - which I have thankfully never watched! Am I wrong in thinking that the books make it less scary? I hope I am right, because I am freaking scared of Coraline just from watching the movie trailer.


Black History Reads

Black History month is here! I always love reading things associated with Black History during this time period and my life long dream is to do something worth while that will add to the history of black people. In this month I will be reading novels by black authors, stories with black history content etc. I look forward to doing this, as black history is something that has affected me, heck it has affected all of us.

1# Phenomenal Woman: Four Poems Celebrating Women by Maya Angelou
 I have read 2 poems out of this book of hers, and loved it. Maya Angelou is one of my 'idols', and I would have loved to meet her because I am almost certain that we would have gotten along.

2# I know why the caged bird sings by Maya Angelou
Surpise surprise another Maya Angelou novel!

3# Boys Don't Cry by Malorie Blackman
Malorie is an author that I have avoided reading for many years - she's a really popular read at my school, but only read one of her novels recently. Did I love it? No. Which is why I am not continuing with the series that she wrote and instead trying out another one of her novels because her writing was really easy to get into - despite me not loving the storyline.

4# The Colour Purple by Alice Walker
The Colour Purple is a book that my English teacher recommended to me on the topic of black history, so I really look forward to reading this! - He says that it made him cry, I cry a lot so...better prepare those tissues.

5# Married Men by Carl Webber
This is a book that my brother recommended to me, which is surprising as he hardly ever reads, so I look forward to this!


YA Shot Reads

YA Shot is a young adult and middle grade literature convention happening this month, where many authors will be attending. I will also be attending so I am super super excited. 

1# Night School by CJ Daugherty
I haven't yet read any books by CJ Daugherty, so I am excited to dive into this! The blurb seems really good so I am excited.

2# The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
This book was sent to me last month, so it is so convenient that the author is also coming to YA Shot! The summary also seems really really good!

3# The art of being normal by Lisa Williamson
The art of being normal is a book that I have been meaning to read for months now, and was recommended to me by my sisters best friend - who has really good taste in novels, so I am pretty sure this will be a great read.

4# This book is gay by James Dawson
The title, has me interested! I love reading LGBTQIA related books.

5#  Dead Romantic by CJ Skuse 
This is a book that I started a few months ago and loved, then had to put it down and never got the chance to pick it back up. I guess this is a book that crosses over to the spooky reads! 

So other than those fantastic reads above, I also plan on reading three more - I know my list is already crazy but I would be so happy if I got through them all.

1# Asking for it by Louise O' Neill
I got this book last month, and I have been so excited to read it ever since.

2# Carry On by Rainbow Rowell 
I have literally read all of her books and will continue to read every single one she publishes because she is awesome!


3# Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas
This is one of the books I was supposed to read last month but couldn't due to how chaotic sixth form has been, but things have calmed down and I think I am ready!

That is my October TBR! very long....I hope I get through it all..or at least 70% of it.


(Disclaimer: The images used were not mine - wish they were though.)

Yours Faithfully, 

~ She Who Writes


No comments:

Post a Comment