Thursday 8 October 2015

LGBTQIA : Guest Post with Kieran!

LGBTQIA Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer
 Intersex Asexual. 

Today's post is a guest post with Kieran from bookbitchreviews who has been kind enough to share his coming out story!


_____________________________________

Being Gay and Attending an All Boys School

Hi everyone, I’m Kieran from bookbitchreviews and the lovely Faridah kindly emailed me and asked if I wanted to guest post on her blog. And as you can see, I said yes! The reason I said yes is because my blog is very diverse and although I talk about books, I also talk about all things LGBT, Mental Illnesses such as Depression and Suicide.

Today I wanted to talk about my coming out while attending an all boys school and the affects it had on me as a person and my life.

I had just turned 16 when I came out to everyone. It was 3 months after my birthday and my friend just randomly asked if I was gay. I answered back that I wasn’t, but then backtracked and told him the truth. I was worried that he’d dislike the truth but he was completely happy for me. (He later came out as gay, which totally made sense after everything.) He advised me to tell my parents, on my own accord, but just so that they knew and that I didn’t keep the secret in any longer, because the truth is it was weighing me down.

I told my parents that night and I was one of the lucky ones whose parents already knew and just wanted them to tell them. My parents always told me that “They’d always love me, no matter what.” As a child, so I knew there was nothing to worry about really. However not everyone are as accepting.


I came out on the Thursday (There was no school Friday) and by the time school had started back up on Monday everyone had somehow found out about it. I’ve never found out how, but I guess one person told a friend and then they told their friend, and the cycle began, I guess.


At first I wasn’t sure how they were going to react. I attended an all boy’s school where you were bullied and beat up if you weren’t “manly”.  Coming out made me a target, it was like I had someone following me around with a massive sign reading “This guy is GAY” with an arrow pointing to me. Some were curious about it and some were just plain rude. And I don’t want to scare you off of coming out, I’m just telling you my truth, my story.

For the first few weeks, people were actually quiet about things but then everything changed. I became an everyday victim. I’d be called the generic homophobic names, tripped over and pushed into walls. And that was it for the most part but then things changed. I was still called names, always was until I left, but I wasn’t being tripped up or pushed anymore. Instead they would target me with food and drinks. In fact I remember one guy opening a can of coke, taking a swig and then throwing it at me. Another guy also coughed phlegm onto me for no other reason than me being there at the wrong place, wrong time.

One day things took a serious turn for the worse. A guy actually threatened to slit my throat open in class. The teacher (Who has always been lazy) just pretended he hadn’t heard anything, but it shook me up real bad. I was petrified. I ended up telling my Head of Year, who then gave him an after school detention, but I never recovered from that event. And it wasn’t the fact that he threatened me that affected me most, it was the fact that my school, the place I should have felt safe in, did nothing for me. They just pretended it hadn’t happened. And no one should be made to feel unsafe in a place where being safe is a main priority.
What a lot of people didn’t know about me in school, including my teachers was that I actually got diagnosed with Severe Depression in 2013. I had suffered with it, at this point, for over a year but kept quiet about it all until I finally went and got help.

I self-harmed.

I attempted suicide.

But I fought back, I won.

I am a fighter, a warrior and most importantly a survivor.

Being gay in an all boy’s school isn’t all negative though. It made me realise who my true friends were and I was never discouraged to never be my true self. When I went back for Sixth Form (The 2 years before university) I started to wear makeup, making me finally understand that I’m not only gay but Androgynous as well. Luckily my lessons were at a girl’s school, but some were at my original school. They had their opinions, many negatives but there were so many supportive people as well.

Going through hard times can make you wake up in the real world because it isn’t all unicorns and rainbows. Sometimes those Unicorns have knives for horns and they’re vicious, but having true friends by your side can make everything less painful. I lost friends of 9 years, but I gained true friendship, loyalty from the people who stood by me and accepted me. They went through everything with me, they witnessed the bullying and they didn’t stay quiet. They opened their mouths and told people straight. And I’m still friends with those people now. I owe everything to them being by my side and going through everything with me. But I mainly owe them for standing up for me, being my allies.

The first few months will seem hard for you guys but know that it is totally worth it. In life everyone is bullied, everyone is going through their own nightmare. Is it right to make someone feel worthless? No, definitely not. But it’s life. It’s school. In a few years time you’ll look back and remember how much of an amazing person it made you. You’ll thank it in some weird, messed up way.

Like everyone says, “It does get better!” 





               Thanks to Kieran for doing this post! You can find Kieran on...
                             Blog // http://bookbitchreviews.blogspot.co.uk/
                             Twitter // https://twitter.com/GayMonst3r
                             Instagram // https://instagram.com/thebookbitch
                            Goodreads // https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/15026294-thebookbitch

(Disclaimer: The Images used in this post are not mine, same with the video...i'm not nearly as awesome as Todrick Hall)

Yours Faithfully, 

~ She Who Writes

No comments:

Post a Comment