Saturday 12 March 2016

Book Review: The Reluctant Fundamentalist By Mohsin Hamid

So today I will be reviewing 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist' which is a novel we have been reading in my English Lit class. 
WARNING: *some spoilers ahead*

(This is the move version of the book, the subtitles tell you a lot about what the book is actually about.)

I generally enjoyed the book, but as I do with many books I read, I had a few problems with this one. Despite the problems I had, I gave this book a rating of, 4.5 stars out of 5!



*
Favourite Quote: " 'You look cute,' she said 'Your beard brings out your eyes' "

This is my favourite quote - amongst others, due to the fact that Erica - his love interest, is the only person that seemed to accept him for who he was. Even his own parents told him to shave his beard in order to avoid suspicion about his intentions. 

What I liked: I really loved  the message that the novel was trying to get across about assumptions and race. The main character Changez is from Pakistan and is also a Muslim. after 9/11 there were a lot of suspicions because of this. Despite him being an American citizen, going to one of the best schools - Princeton, and working in a top firm, he would never be accepted and would always be treated as an outsider.

(The person that plays him the movie is really attractive...wow.)

What I disliked: So in the book there are many things that I didn't like/agree with. Some things that I should have hated didn't bother me as much as I knew it was significant to the story-line...however, there is a debate going on in my English class as to whether Changez - the main character, rapes his love interest or not. This is a debate as she gives consent...but she is still not in her right mind...and she thinks he is her dead ex boyfriend....this feels like a violation in mine and many others opinions. 

In general the main character pisses me off; he has a very elitist attitude and denies where he comes from, yet is ironically not even accepted by America through out the book. 

I also disliked the ending...all I will say is, those that leave standalone novels on a cliff hanger want to kill me. *cries* 

In general, I really enjoyed the novel - which you can say is particularly hard when the main character is as annoying as he is,  and I really recommend it because I think it is an eye opener for people who haven't viewed the world in a certain way before...or just people who enjoy the politics of things. 

(Disclaimer: The images used are not mine)

Yours Faithfully, 

~ She Who Writes



No comments:

Post a Comment