Monday 21 March 2016

K Drama Review : She Was Pretty

Hello! I had this idea of making posts every now and again on K Drama's I am watching/ have watched. 
For those that do not know what a 'K Drama' is; it is a Korean TV Drama. 

They are amazing, and addictive and I recommend them to everyone - especially those that need something to binge on.

***

Before I start, I am going to give you an outline of how a K Drama series is structured. 

The majority  - as in over 90%, of K Drama's only have 1 season. This is because they literally only need one season to kill you and overload you with feelssss! So if pretty little liars was a K Drama, I can bet we would know who A was by episode 3.

Also you'll notice that K Drama's have an original sound track...and these songs become your life, and can trigger the emotion you were feeling when the song played in the Drama at any given time in your life. They are amazing.

So the first K Drama I will be reviewing is...

She Was Pretty 그녀는 예뻤다


(Image of the main cast)

Synopsis: "A romantic comedy about two past acquaintances who meet again after they've gone through a reversal of fortunes and appearances, set in the backdrop of a fashion magazine's publishing office.
Kim Hye-jin was a very pretty girl from a rich family. After her family's publishing company went bankrupt, she experienced hardships then lost her beauty too. Ji Sung-joon was an unattractive boy with low self-esteem, but grows up as a handsome and successful editor.
The two decided to meet again as adults, but Sung-joon was unable to recognize Hye-jin. Ashamed to meet her first love and ruin his perception of her, Hye-jin asks her attractive best friend, Ha-ri, to appear in her place. Things, however, soon get complicated as Hye-jin was assigned to work at The Most magazine publishing office where Sung-joon is the deputy chief editor. He openly mistreats and belittles her for her clumsy nature, not knowing that she was his real childhood friend. Ha-ri also continues to meet Sung-joon, and soon develops feelings for him. On the other hand, Hye-jin finds a good friend in her workplace, Shin-hyuk, who slowly falls in love with her." - wiki

I watched this K Drama for the following reasons:

1# primarily because of the fact that the two main characters in the show happen to be some of my favourite actors.
(hwang jung eum and park seo joon)

2#... as well as the fact that Choi Siwon from the band 'Super Junior' is in it hehehe.....
(Choi Siwon in all his glory)
(Super Junior)

3# And the last reason being that it is rated extremely high...so I usually go with the ratings when watching K Drama's or my friends opinions.

What I liked about it: I loved the general story line, it was so cute and fun. Once upon a time I wanted to be something to do with the fashion industry and upon seeing that this was set in a fashion type world, it interested me immediately.

I also loved the side love story, I ended up shipping it so hard...it made me cry. Then again I cry a lot.

I am also obsessed with her best friend Min Ha-Ri...she's so cute!


What I didn't like about it: So onto what I didn't like....
I didn't like what they classed as 'pretty'. In order to transform the once pretty character into an uglier character, she is given freckles and frizzy hair...I think this sends a negative image again that certain features make you ugly. 

I didn't like what she had to do in order to become 'pretty'.
The again, it was justified at the end when she goes back to how she naturally was and is happy this way, as well as the fact that those close to her never had a problem with her looks...it was society around her.


I give this drama a rating of 4.5 stars out of 5.

That's the end of my post...I hope I have convinced a few of you out there to take a look at K Dramas, and if this post didn't convince you I hope my next one will!

(Disclaimer: the images used of these amazing people are not mine.)

Yours Faithfully, 

~ She Who Writes

2 comments:

  1. Yayyyy, hope you do more of these! This is the first thing I'll be looking up once my last exam is over, it sounds so cute! Plus SIWON <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and I will do many more in the future (AND SIWON...IKR HEHE)

      Delete