Tuesday 1 September 2015

----------------------------



My motto when reading is 'always read the book before the movie' and this is generally because the book happens to be better than the movie...but in some strange cases, the book drifts off to second place.

1. If I stay

 If I stay is a book about a 17 year old girl called Mia who - during a snow storm, loses her parents. She and her brother are in the car when the accident happens but aren't at first fatally injured. They are both taken to hospital but the twist to the story is that she - despite the fact that she is in a coma, is aware of everything and can see her surroundings. 

Throughout the book we see flashbacks to events leading up to where she is now, so that we get a better understanding of characters that come to visit her in hospital. 

This is a book I did not enjoy. I found the writing style hard to adjust to and couldn't connect with any of the characters. Worst of all, they compared this book to 'The Fault In Our Stars', which was highly inaccurate. 


The Movie however was amazing, probably in my top 20 movies of all time. It may just be that I am bias because of my love for Chloe Grace Moretz and her acting, or the fact that the cast as a whole were perfect, or maybe it was the fact that the cinematography was beautiful...it was many factors I think that made this movie much much better than the book. 

2. The Duff

The Duff is a book about a girl called Bianca who finds out at a party that she attends with 2 of her friends, that she is sadly 'the duff' of the group. Her informant is popular high school rich kid Wesley Rush, who tells her this whilst explaining to her his interest in her friends. She is bothered by this greatly - as any other teenaged girl would be, and proceeds to do some things she is not proud of...

I did not enjoy this book either. The writing style was also hard to get into, as well as the fact that the characters were not believable enough to me. I also felt like a lot of things were left unfinished. 

The movie was based on the book but didn't follow the plot of the story at all. For starters, the mum was the one that left the dad, not the other way round. But this isn't a post on the many things they changed.
 I liked the movie a lot because it reminded me of traditional teen movies that I used to watch, and it was nice to feel nostalgic.  

3. Insurgent

Insurgent is the second book in the divergent series which is a dystopian trilogy set in Chicago, and based on the life of the character Tris who is divergent - meaning that she fits into more than one faction. 

I loved this book, but I loved the movie more and I am not entirely sure why. It could be because the characters were portrayed accurately, but in a way that made me love them more than the original book characters, as well as the fact that I preferred the changes made to certain aspects of the characters - for example Tobias' age. 

4. Gone Girl 

Gone Girl is a thriller based on the lives of a married couple Nick and Amy. They are currently in a difficult marriage - as most are, that seems to be getting worse as shown through the eyes of the two main characters. Amy paints a picture of this perfect relationship eventually turning stale due to Nick and his selfish actions as well as the physical abuse he inflicts upon her - all presented in her diary. Nick tells us of his view on their marriage through memories and thoughts he has of her as a person. 
And then one day on their 5th wedding anniversary, Amy goes missing...

Anyone who was around me whilst I read this whole book during Christmas, will know that I did not like it. At all. I'm not sure if its the genre, or the actually story but I couldn't get into it and I found Nick absolutely irritating. 
Despite my dislike of the book, I loved the movie. I loved the acting, the cinematography and the way it kept true to the original storyline but some how still managed to improve it. 

5. Twilight

Twilight is a story about a girl called Bella who is in love with a vampire named Edward. The end. 
I'm joking...but the assumption is that everyone knows the storyline, due to it's popularity? If not the story line follows the life of a girl named Bella who moves Washington in order to live with her dad, which means having to start fresh in a different school. She meets a boy called Edward who - when sitting next to her in a class they share, seems disgusted by her. But we soon find out why...because he's a VAMPIRE, Ooooh. 
If I am being totally honest about a few things, I haven't read twilight in years but from memory... I didn't like it. I also may or may not be bias because of a few actors...*cough Robert Pattinson and Jackson Rathbone cough* I loved the movies...even though they were cheesy, and watched them every year with my friend Sarah - over at the blog miss sarah spy , as well as my friend Drew. 

Those are 5 movies that I preferred in comparison to their original forms! 
Stay tuned for more posts...

(Disclaimer: The images used in this post are not mine.)

Yours Faithfully, 

~ She Who Writes

No comments:

Post a Comment