Monday 10 August 2015

Book Review : Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman

Noughts and Crosses is the book that I read for one of the BookTubeAThon challenges - 'read someone else's favourite book'. It was highly recommended by Naz - snazzy reads , and my friend Vaksha, and also happens to be a best seller.


The book is about an alternate society where Noughts - white people, are seen as less and the Crosses - black people, are valued more. It focuses on two central characters, Sephy being black and the daughter of an important man in society, and Callum being white and having a very different life to the Sephy due to his skin colour. 

I thought that the concept behind this book was very interesting and different in comparison to anything I have ever read, and has really made me even more aware of how bad slavery and discrimination was not so long ago. 

What I liked...
I liked how real it was and felt, because it made the devastation in the story feel more personal. An example of this being when certain deaths happen in book, Malorie describes how the person is feeling and rather than making them brave people who aren't scared of death or dying at that moment, she inputs a real human reaction to the thought of death - especially in this way.  
(Sorry if this is weirdly described, if I were to elaborate the person I am referring to will become obvious and cause spoilers!)

What I did not like...
Ironically what I did not like was how real it got at times, to the point that I had to put down the book in panic. I guess this was done on purpose so that you can be in the characters shoes, but their shoes are extremely uncomfortable.

I gave this book a rating of 4.3 out 5 stars, because a 4 rating doesn't do it justice, but a 4.5 rating would not be true to how I felt. 

Stay tuned for another post on my last book of the BookTubeAThon!

(Disclaimer: The images used in this post are not mine.)

Yours Faithfully, 

She Who Writes

No comments:

Post a Comment