Saturday 15 August 2015

Summer Reads! : Series

Earlier in the summer I published a post on my Summer Stand Alone Recommendations and now I am going to recommend some series that I loved and suggest you read!

Much excite.

The First Series I am going to recommend is...

The Anna and the French Kiss Trilogy by Stephanie Perkins
This series is about the lives of different characters that interlink with each other. The story first starts out in France...then moves onto New York then France again and involves the characters Anna, Lola and Isla - if that wasn't obvious already. 

I love these books because they remind me of classic contemporary's - in my mind, because they give you that same cutesy feeling that classic contemporary's give you. 
It doesn't matter what order you read these in because the stories are completely different, but I would recommend reading them in the order they came out in - Anna, Lola then Isla. 

The Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth
This is a very popular trilogy that most people have probably read by now, but for those that haven't read this it is a dystopian series that is based on a post-apocalyptic society in Chicago where your DNA determines which of the five factions you fit into. Those that fit into more than one are called 'Divergents'. These Divergents are an apparent risk to the organisation in their society which is basically the fuel for this whole story.
I really enjoyed many aspects of this trilogy and would recommend that you read it before watching the movie - read any book before watching the movie!

The Shadowhunter Chronicles 

The Mortal Instruments By Cassandra Clare
This is a series of 6 books in the Shadowhunter Chronicles that are based on the life of a 16 year old girl named Clarissa Fray, who has just found out she is a shadowhunter. Shadowhunters are demon killing warriors that protect the human race and are half angel half human.  The series also involves other cool creatures like warlocks *cough Magnus Bane*, Werewolves, Vampires, Faeries and more! 

I am obsessed with the series and the author - Cassandra Clare, and I think that despite your genre preference, you can still get into this series.

The Infernal Devices By Cassandra Clare
The Infernal Devices trilogy is set in the same world as The Mortal Instruments Series, but the twist is - if you didn't already guess from the old fashioned clothing seen on the characters in the front covers, it is set 100 years ago in London! 

I loved this series to because it was awesome seeing their ancestors as well as some familiar faces from The Mortal Instruments Series *cough Magnus Bane*.

The Bane Chronicles By Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan and Maureen Johnson
The Bane Chronicles is a series of short stories based on the life of the amazing warlock - and my favourite character, Magnus Bane! There's not much else I can say, just read it, it's amazing!

The Shadowhunter Academy by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan and Maureen Johnson
This is also a series of short stories based on the life of Simon! (DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE) I have only just started reading this, and I love it! It is currently only available on e book.

Shadowhunter Codex By Cassandra Clare and Joshua Lewis
And lastly...Here is the rule book and guide to the universe created by Cassie Clare! It's not just pages of info, there is a lot of hilarious graffiti by the characters in the book.

Harry Potter By JK Rowling

I wasn't going to include this series due to the assumption that everyone had read it but I have come to the realisation that sadly, not everyone has had the chance to experience the magic that is the Potter Verse. 

Harry Potter is a very popular series about a boy who lives with his mean aunt and uncle in Surrey, unaware of the fact that his parents were actually killed by a 7 horcruxed, no nosed, snake looking man. He is also unaware that he is a wizard and is told so by a giant hairy wizard.
He gets several letters from this boarding school for wizards and witches called Hogwarts, inviting him to attend. This series is popular for a reason, and if you haven't read it, I suggest you do!

Geek Girl By Holly Smale
This is a series about a girl called Harriet Manners who has been labelled 'geeky' due to her intelligence and I assume personality as a whole. I say personality, because she likes to store random facts in her brain and then proceeds to blurt them out to people at random moments - sometimes being inappropriate moments. 
The series is starts off with her going on a school trip, and being noticed by a  modelling agency which then leads to her becoming a model at big brands, with very successful models despite her beginners status. 

I love reading this book series, and I basically harass the Waterstones staff with my pre-orders and constant asking about the release dates.

The Magisterium Series By Cassandra Clare and Holly Black
This is a series centered around the life of Callum Hunt who is a student at a school for young magicians. He is new to the magic world despite having two parents that are magicians. This is because his dad has chosen to hide this part of him in order to protect him. 

The Magisterium Series is still new, but I can already tell that it is going to be amazing. I read the first book during July - despite having the book for nearly a year, and loved it! 

These are all series that I recommend! I may upload another post on more series that I like, but due to me mostly reading stand alones, that will not be any time soon. 

Stay tuned for more!
(Disclaimer: The images used in this post were not mine)

Yours Faithfully, 

~ She Who Writes 

No comments:

Post a Comment